i have been following the Saracens drama from a distance with some disgust but kept my own counsel on the subject, however despite Sarries already accepting automatic relegation it now seems the PRL in their infinite wisdom have chosen to hit Sarries with a further 70 points deduction for the season.
quite frankly I can only see this as a bit vindictive and in some cases (wasps, tigers) a face saving for some of the clubs who must fear having less points at the end of the season than the team that’s relegated.
i don’t want to reopen the debate on salary cap and did they cheat? Being honest the contrarian in me means I will disagree with most of you on that and even worse find myself agreeing with Coshie and a barf fan (FTC), but this is a new low, the PRL appear to be petty and their actions bring the sport further into disrepute than the alleged indiscretions of Nigel Wray and Sarries.
“The Premiership and European champions received confirmation two weeks ago that they would be relegated at the end of this season and the after-shocks from their salary cap breaches continue to reverberate. Premiership Rugby released a statement on Tuesday confirming the additional sanction against Saracens, which would leave them on -77 points — after they were hit by a 35-point penalty back in November.”
“This action by PRL followed a unanimous vote among their member clubs to make immediate, mid-season amendments to the salary cap regulations. The changes ensure that any club suspected of a breach will face a mid-season audit — and failure to comply will result in the deduction of 70 points, as in this case.”
“By taking these emergency steps to tighten their regulations, PRL are ensuring that Saracens will go down after finishing bottom of the table — as they now cannot mathematically overhaul any of the rivals above them. It was revealed that the organisation have been in dialogue with the RFU, although the governing body have not taken any action themselves. It is a move designed to tidy up loose ends, but there is also a sense of making-it-up-as-they-go-along farce about the measures.”
Unanimous vote? Suggests even Sarries voted for this….i fucking doubt that and changing rules mid season – what sort of clown outfit does that. Yes that’s right the sort of clowns that run English rugby.
it seems to me that
– PRL have been derelict in their administration of the league in that no one detected any overspend on salary cap despite it being done in the last 3 seasons
– this is despite previous similar issues being dealt with for three undisclosed clubs (allegedly Sarries, tigers and Barf)…. so issue known but no further checks put in place – perhaps a few lessons learned?
– further sanctions were then threatened and Sarries chose relegation…. the fact there was a potential breach this season which couldn’t be easily avoided due to contract law should have meant a further 35 points deducted next season.it feels like sarries we’re recovering the -35 too quickly and so relegation had to be assured to satisfy certain clubs and to ensure the safety of other clubs.
– the option of handing back titles, cups etc and opening the books (to your competitors?) for a forensic examination wasn’t appealing to sarries so they chose relegation….. but the ultimatum wasn’t enforceable within existing rules, Sarries should have just said fuck it and take it to court whilst ensuring premiership survival this season
– now PRL change the rules to suit…….amateur hour.
After the late start to the premiership due to the RWC, the shambolic scheduling for the ERC and all the noise so far about Sarries this now means there is no point Sarries focussing on anything except the ERC and it’s now just a fight to see who Exeter will face at the end of the season. This is showing rugby Union to be exactly what it is…. an amateur game that has a few teams pretending to be professional.
i will now be cheering for Sarries every game they play (especially as they already beat Gloucester)